Thursday, April 23, 2009

The little thank yous


I received these beautiful flowers from a little boy who experienced an extreme fracture to his right arm while I was working at the school as their nurse. After calling EMS and arranging for parents to meet at the hospital and all that other good stuff I began to think how ineffective I felt at helping the little guy out who was in understandably excruciating pain. My perfect ideal complete fractured patient is one brought into me on a stretcher or stumbling through the door that I immediately place IV's, give drugs and off to X-ray. No more pain just a simple sleeping, relaxed, sedated patient. Perfect.

That does not happen so much at an elementary school - It was more like a whaling and screaming for "Mommy"; I found myself tearing up a few times because all I could think is as a mother I could not imagine not being there to ease my babies fears.

I have received many "Thank yous" throughout the years. Some come in the form of a thumbs up as they are wheeled out the helicopter for transport to the next hospital, some in the form of a high fives, some by a simple hug or a note from family. They all are worth the time and energy and care involved with each individual patient but this one really touched me because I really felt like I didn't do anything for the little guy.

Just think how big that bouquet would have been if I could have pushed him a bit of Morphine...

No comments: